A. When it comes to the essential story line, the movie is all about a bird traveling several thousand miles for the purpose of setting up a rare bird family.
B. Cracks explores the evil force developed within a closed society, the single-minded violence of the mob mentality, and the seductive charm of the heroine.
C. Eleven years after Sidney Prescott tangled with a mad killer, the Scream series has been exhumed. It was fun and breezy in 1996. In 2011, it’s about as fresh as the whiff.
D. Soul surfer portrays the comeback spirit and faith of shark attack survivor and champion surfer Bethany Hamilton.
E. Although it is a better fantasy than a comedy, this movie never fully embraces either side of the dramatic types and ends up a bastard of mixed blood.
F. This movie is a richer and more compelling thriller involving a cat-and-mouse game than the average roller coaster ride into tension and misery. And it also has a “clean” ending.
46. Having spent most of her life in the wilds of Finland and toughened herself with half her teen years’ harsh training as a killer, she decides that she is ready to enter society. Her first mission is to kill Marissa, her mother’s killer. The plan goes much as expected, except the “Marissa” is an imposter. Hanna becomes the prey in a cat-and-mouse game with the real Marissa, causing tension and misery.
47. Blu is a domesticated blue macaw from the jungles of South America. If Linda, his owner, brings him to Rio, the bird can mate the last female blue macaw and re-start the species. Blu’s encounter with his bride-to-be, Jewel, doesn’t go well, but the two aren’t given much time to get to know each other before a gang of bird-hunters spirits them away. Now it’s up to Blu and Jewel to escape the criminals.
48. Perhaps surprisingly, it works reasonably well until the jokes get in the way, testifying to how durable fantasy clichés are. Yet, considering the talent involved on both sides of the camera, audiences may be expecting more. Even though it emerges from an uncrowded genre in which the competition is sparse, Your Highness is forgettable and it likely won’t take long before it is forgotten.
49. The film begins with the heroine at age 13, already a champion surfer who has been winning trophies since she was 9. On an idyllic Hawaii day, she is practicing for her next competition when a shark strikes, biting off her left arm. She makes a quick physical recovery and is back on her surfboard after several weeks, but her spiritual recovery is more complicated as she struggle to believe she can—and should—keep surfing. She goes out there and shows the world she can be a beacon for human soul.
50. The Ghost Face Killer has chosen this year to emerge from the winter long sleep, and his targets appear to be Sidney and those few remaining family members. Scream 4 offers little more than a group of familiar characters wandering around a horror movie setting and uttering self-referential one-liners as the body count mounts. The story is thin and belabored ─ more an excuse to encounter old friends and revel in new gore than the “revision” promised by the promotional material.