You never played the video dance game? Now such games are used to help lose weight!
Like many other teenage boys, Jones loves sports．But at 5 feet, 175 pounds, he found his weight in trouble． His doctor wanted him to lose 50 pounds so that he may be a good football game player by the end of the summer．
Jones chose the popular Dance Revolution video game at home to increase his activity． He had lost about 10 pounds by changing his diet． Now, after two weeks’ playing the game, he has lost another 10!
A health study is being done by an insurance company．The company hopes that the game will lead to better health and lower costs．“Obesity claims (肥胖索赔) last year cost us $ 77 million． We have to cut those costs,” said a member of the insurance group．The company provides a game console (游戏主机), a dance mat and software for the six-month, $ 60,000 study．
The study is more than a commercial thing of an insurance company． It is widely supported by physical education and health professionals．
In West Virginia, 43% of the nearly 6,000 children examined for heart disease risk were considered over-weighted; more than 25% were too fat． “We are in a crisis of childhood obesity not only in West Virginia but in America,” said a researcher．
Researchers are now looking at the potential for improving effects by using the game．A teacher in West Virginia has been using the video games in her classes since last fall．She reported that the game does improve heart health as well as eye-hand coordination (协调能力), and her students take the video game as a great alternative to jumping rope or ball games．
The US Education Department is putting the game in 20 schools to control childhood obesity．Well, are you going to try such to dance away your extra weight?
- A.the study involves many insurance companies
- B.the study is only an insurance company’s business
- C.the study is less important than the insurance company’s money
- D.it’s not only the insurance company that is concerned about the study
- A.the government thinks highly of the dance game
- B.in West Virginia, more than 25 % of the adults were too fat
- C.a teacher is a failure in using the video game in her classes
- D. the US Education Department isn’t interested in the game
- A.Dance Away Your Weight
- B.Play the Video Dance Game
- C.Solve the Problem of Obesity
- D. Cut the Cost of Obesity Claims